Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What’s So Juvenile About a Lamy Safari?

If you visit the Lamy website, you will find that Lamy has different classifications for its pens: young writing, modern writing, and high-quality writing. Was “young writing” once called “juvenile”? That sounds right, but I’m not sure. Regardless, I am distressed because I am no longer a juvenile, but I have a couple of Safaris, a Vista, and an Al-Star -- pens all in the “young writing” range. 

I like the Safari, in particular, for many of the reasons that others have noted: expense, performance, color options, nib options, design, comfort (for some users), and toughness. I suppose the pen is considered appropriate for young writers because of the ergonomic design and the plastic -- it is LEGO plastic, after all. Among all the characteristics of the Safari, though, my favorites are the color of the 2013 limited edition neon yellow and the ease of nib changing. There might be other pens where the nibs simply slide on and off, but I don’t know what they are. If you get a bum nib or damage a nib, it is easy to replace.

2013 LE neon yellow Lamy Safari

Perhaps in an effort to live according to my non-juvenile status, I bought a Lamy CP1, a “high-quality“ fountain pen. It is attractive and has the same easy-to-slide-on-and-off Lamy nib, but it’s just not the same; it’s not as fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment